Monday 11 March 2013

Wintery Assault



Wintery Assault



Million smarting blunted pins,

Pierce my face and sting my eyes.

As I emerge from inside to out,

acute chill triggers horrid demise.



Hot wet droplets roll down my face,

clammily cold as they reach my chin.

I rub them away with the back of glove,

before they dampen my spirit within.



Try to push head deep into collar.

Take cover from this cutting assault.

Dislodge hat, so ears complain bitterly,

aversion for cruel glacial onslaught.



Wind pierces my thermal gloves,

hands in pockets, take sanctuary.

Didn’t expect a sub-zero.

Okay,  I know it’s January.



Pavement white, sprayed with icing sugar.

Sky ghostly pale, promise of more trouble.

Moon and stars remain at home snug,

logical; the temperature is minus double



Head down, march against the offensive.

Make haste to reach home and heat.

Difficult to rush and achieve my goal,

as  I have to walk on frozen numb feet.



©June Sciortino

No comments:

Post a Comment